This morning we did get up a little earlier.  Unfortunately, the kitchen staff did not get the word.  We all gathered before 6:00AM for coffee and it was 6:15AM before they opened the windows.  BTW, I have forgotten to write this all week.  They have a clock at the top of the serving window that is made by WestClock.  It is attached to the wall still in the box.  We laugh every time we see it.  We had the best breakfast of all today.  A ham omelet, plantains, a wonderful sausage and fruit.  We loaded up our bags and walked to the clinic where they dedicated a new dormitory to the memory of Hugh Spruill, a doctor that had made 20 plus trips to the Agalta Valley.  Several spoke including a woman that had swelled so bad that she called herself a monster.  She could barely walk, but she talked about Dr. Spruill as if he were an angel on earth.  He apparently gave her the kind of medicine that allowed her to be normal again, except for the fact that she walked with a cain.  There is a dedication plaque on the wall in his memory.  I went over to the dental clinic and took some videos of the equipment that they had there.  We loaded on the bus and counted off.  We had lost Marshall yesterday.  He had to take an earlier flight to get back to Atlanta.  He had to emcee a ceremony for a good friend of his.  We started off and the new driver nearly forgot that we were going by the school.  Some of the ladies had worked with the children of the grammar school to design a mariposa (butterfly in Spanish) with rocks.  They had painted the rocks in different colors according to their grade, the Meghan had arranged them in the form of a mariposa, which is the symbol of the school.  (There are many butterflies in the valley.)  The parents had come to the school and dug an area, so that a cement footing could be poured, the rocks arranged and cemented in.  I must say that it was really pretty.

We only stayed for a few minutes and then were off for an 8 hour drive back to Tegucigalpa.  We made a potty break along the way, then stopped for lunch at the Menonite bakery that we had stopped at before.  I had fish for the first time in a week.  I believe they were from the tilapia farms that we had driven by on the way back.  I also had fresh beets and mixed vegetables and banana bread.  I bought some souvenir items for the family and then headed back to the bus.   We arrived in Tegucigalpa at the height of rush hour.  I believe this driver was better than Juan Carlos.  I did not get his name.  He went down some roads that I would have been afraid to navigate in a car.  This is an extra-long bus and again, he drove it like a Mazerati.  We arrived at the Hotel Honduras Maya, got our keys and negotiated our way onto the elevator.  Once on, we found we had to use our keys to get to our floor.  I think Debra and I went up and down 2-3 times before we could get one of our keys to work.  We showered and got into our good clothes, so that we could go to the Secretary of State’s offices for a cocktail party.  Believe me, I was ready for the cocktails after a week of abstenance.   The Rotary Club of Tegucigalpa Sur sent several representatives to the party.  We met many dignitaries while there and it seemed they were very interested in GRSP.  There were several speeches and Blake spoke about the program, which generated even more interest.  He also brought the pamphlets.  I only had endowment pamphlets with me.  We met a man that had a daughter that went through the program.  We had our picture taken together.  I also met a young woman that had studied in the US and was working at a school in Honduras.  I met a gentleman that was running a school in Tegucigalpa for under-priviledged children.  His parents sold their home in Ohio and moved to Honduras to raise a family.  He was born in Honduras, but spoke American English.  I spoke with him for a long time and learned much about the gangs and drug cartel in Honduras.  I also spoke to him about the GRSP program.  We had a lovely time and had some wonderful hors d’oeuvres.  We finally crashed and Bob herded us back to the bus for the drive back to the hotel.  We had a wonderful time coming back as we all had at least one drink.  Our princess for the day was Laurie and our queen for the week was Kathy.  All the princesses of the week posed for pictures.  Tonight we will pack for the short flight home tomorrow.  I will leave a piece of my heart on Honduras with hopes to return again next year.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

One response »

  1. Fran Milberg says:

    I have enjoyed reading your blog about the trip. I am jealous of your energy and dedication. I don’t think I could do the same. You are a one of a kind and you know I say that with love and admiration. So glad to hear you are home safe and sound. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s