We awoke to a cool morning, ate breakfast at 6:20AM, then headed out to our projects. I chose to help build the wall at the elementary school.  There were 4 of us.  Others went to the elementary school to build an extension to the assembly area and build the counseling center.  Many also worked with the children on varying projects.  We had 2 young people from New York with us that worked with the children on singing projects and many worked with the children on other projects, such as crafts, etc.  I quickly realized that it would not be a good idea to work at the elementary school when I noticed boards laying across the deep trenches for footings that we had to walk on and then a chain link fence laying on the ground that we had to cross carrying concrete block.  As I tried to walk across the chain link fence, not even carrying blocks, I tripped and fell scraping my arm and legs.  I decided to leave that project as I knew I would be injured.  I walked across the pedestrian bridge that we had worked on last year for the first time and made my way to the middle school.  There were 2 building projects there that I was more suited to.  I have found through the years that my skill set includes digging, concrete mixing and some wheel barrow work.  I am not good at carrying 5-gallon buckets loaded with either water or concrete.  I decided that I might be needed at the counseling center.  I worked with 2 other men on our team and 3 Hondurans.  We were told to level a large dirt hill by backfilling the footings, which had 2 levels of blocks already laid, which we did.  We worked from about 7:30 to 11:30AM and then left for lunch at the Ranch.  We then loaded back up on the bus for our afternoon work.  I chose to work with the villagers in Coluco to assemble the water filtration stands, since I had brought a drill.  We gathered in the assembly area of the elementary school and found that many women in the village had arrived to help and a few men.  We had 3 groups going at once, since we had 6 drills.  We showed the Hondurans how to pre-drill the holes and then use the drill to drive the screws in.  This took a little bit of time to begin with, but then it went faster.  My team used a young girl named Jennifer to pre-drill the hole and a Honduran called Carlo to drill in the screws.  The stands had 16 different wood pieces and 64 screws, so each one was a long process.  I can’t remember exactly, but I think we assembled 35 or so stands that first day and once we assembled them, the ladies and children painted them a rust color and set them out to dry.  We didn’t have enough paint, so we had to leave some for the next day.  We left out work about 5:00 to head back to the Ranch.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s