The plan was for a slow day today, since we were taking an early flight to Mallorca on Tuesday, so we planned only one event, which was going to Parc Guell. What a day it was!!! I highly recommend this beautiful park, one of only a few in Barcelona. The City is filled with city parks between the avenues, but none with grass that would really be considered a park by American standards. This one is huge and is at the top of a nice hill, which allows great views of this beautiful city. We took the Metro to the closest station and then walked the 10 or so minutes to the park. The last part was a steep climb, but the escalators made it easy. The park was designed originally as a gated community, but was a failure where that was concerned; however, it was definitely not a failure where tourism was concerned. The strange architecture and the brilliant engineering, as usual, was remarkable. We spent a good deal of time here and had a nice picnic with some sandwiches that we picked up in our neighborhood before getting on the Metro. We found out later that we weren’t supposed to eat in the main area of the park. We just didn’t get caught. 🙂

We decided to have a leisurely walk home and do some window shopping along the way, but it turned out that we did some bar shopping instead. We stopped 3-4 times and sampled the various cavas, wines, sangria and mohitos, as well as different beers for the guys. We looked up the word “shot” in Spanish and made a mess of it. We learned that all you had to say was “shot” and the bartender would know what you were talking about. So we had a couple of rounds of shots and we were feeling no pain as we arrived to our apartment. We decided to keep our reservations at the restaurant on the Barceloneta Beach for paellas and decided again to make a leisurely walk to the restaurant. It is amazing how small the city really is, so we walked through the gothic quarter and did a little shopping, then arrived right on time for our 8:30 reservations. We sat at a table facing the ocean, which was very nice and each of us ordered a different paella. We walked home and arrived about midnight, knowing that we would have to wake up early for our 8:40AM flight for Mallorca. We found out that we had walked 10 miles that day from the IWatch Heather was wearing. I assume the paella did not sit well with any of us as no one slept that night.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s