We woke up this morning to a forecast of rain, so we slowly got ready for the day and turned on the tv for the first time.  BBC News was on and they were talking about the US elections.  I will keep my political views to myself, but suffice it to say that it is the worst political year in my very long memory.  

We finally walked outside to a dismal day, so we got in a cab and went to the Churchill War Rooms.  They give you an audio guide and you walk just steps below to start your tour.  The first floor of the building above was filled with concrete, but it was surprising how close to the surface the war rooms were.  If you are interested in WWII at all from the British perspective, I would highly recommend this.  We stopped for a little while at the cafe inside and had a late snack.  They made a wonderful cappuccino and, of course, my Shannon had a coke.  Banana, too.  The museum was amazing and very high technology once you got into the Churchill Museum.  We pressed on December 7 on one display and shadows of planes flew through the exhibit.  It was pretty impressive.

It was still raining, so we walked towards Parliament Square and got on a bus.  Again, traffic was miserable, but we were out of the rain.  We stopped along the way in Soho and went to a Lush store, which Shannon adored.  Then we walked back towards home, but went through Soho Square then down a side street to look for something to eat.  We stopped at a very nice restaurant called L’Escargot.  It was hard to find a menu that suited her, but we are going to try Croque Monsieur without ham.  We shall see.  I am having French onion soup and escargot, of course.   This was probably the best meal that we have had in London and we have had some good ones.  I make a pretty mean French onion soup, but theirs was much better!!!

We walked back to our flat and took a little nap and packed a few things, then headed back out for dinner.  It was raining and the sidewalks were packed with people and umbrellas.  We made a poor choice for a restaurant (too loud), then got out as quickly as possible.  We were going to walk to Picadilly Circus, but it was still drizzling and the sidewalks were still packed.  We headed back to our flat, but decided to have a final gelato from the shop across from our home for the week.  It is time to say goodbye to London for now.  We have had an amazing time as far as sightseeing was concerned, but the best was bonding with my newly turned 12 year old granddaughter.  This trip was her birthday present and I think it may have been the best present that I could have given her.

Tomorrow, I will have some final thoughts about traveling in London.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s