We awoke to rain this morning, which was not unexpected. Breakfast was filling, as usual, but we were told there would be no work project this morning with the exception of a little bit of work on the water filters, which could be taken care of by 5 people. The rest of us are sitting in the dining hall, doing things like blogs and working on our pictures, waiting to go to the school at 11:00AM for a presentation. We will be there to witness the presentation of the Bob and Susan Hope scholarship to two deserving children, who will be able to go on to high school, and perhaps then some other entertainment.  We shall see.

We did go to the school and were treated to their national anthem and solos from two students, as well as a song from the teachers.  The scholarships were presented and a special thank you certificate to H.A.V.E. (Honduras Agalta Valley Educational Foundation).  Rotarians were invited into the computer lab where we were thanked by the computer teacher with a certificate.  We had the English teacher to translate for this.  Afterward, the English teacher introduced me to the female student that sang a song to us in English.  We discussed the Georgia Rotary Student Program scholarship and I will be communicating with her for the next 3 years to encourage her to apply.  Everyone else handed out candy to the children, then we left to return to the ranch for lunch.  After a quick lunch, we headed back out in the bus to the little town of  El Aguacate to deliver water filters.  We drove down this dirt road that was mainly mud and I have to give it to the bus driver.  I still cannot believe that we made it.  We arrived in the town and it was obvious that the entire town was waiting on us.  We watched as an HOI employee explained about how the waster filters worked and how important it was to keep it clean.  Then they were doled out to the families that had made a donation to get one.  We walked with each of the families through the rain and mud to deliver them to their houses.  We were thanked as we met people along the road.  We returned to the bus and with the additional rain, I knew that we would not make it, but we did.  We returned about 4:00 and rested until the dinner bell.  After dinner, we had our usual talent show that consisted of song, poetry and joke telling.  It was a great hit with an MC and everything.  We will be sad to say goodbye to the ranch, but we will leave first thing in the morning and make the entire trip in one day back to Tegucigalpa.



About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s