We are on vacation, so we are slow to get up and get going. Even though we are 2 hours behind, we still move slowly in the AM.  I was awake by 5:30AM, but didn’t get up until after 6:ooAM.  The sun shines in my window, so I am up when it’s daylight.  I tried wearing an eye mask, but I suppose I just sense it.  I got up and made some good Honduran coffee and Cindy was up a little later.  We drink our coffee on the front porch (you had seen the photo) and just vegetate there.  Derek seems to want to come about 8:30 or 9:00, so we visited with him for awhile and asked him to come back after we ate breakfast.  I cooked some eggs with tomato and onion and they were good.  We both like our eggs softly cooked, so it works well.

We gathered together our snorkeling gear, Cindy made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and then Derick came by to pick us up.  We boated over to the fuel station to get some fuel for the boat (we figured $80) and picked up some ice for the ice chest, then we boated on over to our first snorkeling spot which was on an uninhabited island.  I float pretty well and Cindy does, too, so we passed the test.  We walked backward to get to deeper water with our fins on and then swam amongst the fish and natural reef.  We thought the water was beautiful, but Derick said it was a little cloudy.  He said normally it would be crystal clear.  I loved it.  My mask and snorkel worked well, but the fins were hurting my feet.  Cindy’s fins worked great, but she had some issues with her mask leaking.  Derick met us after awhile and picked us up to go to another area.  

It was away from the island, but was still pretty shallow.  We saw tons of fish and the reef was so colorful.  We then decided we were hungry (or rather, I did).  Cindy felt a little off with the rocking boat, but soon felt better after watching the shoreline.  She and I drank a beer and Derick enjoyed a PB&J with us.  We then boated off to the South side of the island to another place.  The water was smoother and Derick suggested that we just wear our water shoes instead of the fins, which worked well for me.  I was swimming more, but the fins weren’t hurting my feet.  It was still pretty shallow, so we had to be careful not to injure the reef.  It was a little less clear on this side of the island, but the fish were even more numerous.  

We shopped at the grocery store and vegetable market again on Bonacca and then came back to the house to relax and get cleaned up.   We fixed up some Cuba Libres and filled the hummingbird feeder.  I held it in my hands and they drank from it, they were so ravenous.  Also, I finally figured out how to get some warm water out of my shower, so it was good to wash my hair and wash the salt off my skin.  We hung our suits up to dry and are planning to go to the German restaurant tonight for dinner.  Believe it or not, Monday nights are pizza night, so we are going to try that.  Derick is to pick us up at 6:00PM.

So about 6:15PM, Derick pulls up and runs up the steps.  We notice he is putting on bug repellent.  Thank goodness we did, too.  We go to a dock in the dark not far away and we turn on our phone lights to see to get off the boat, as it is a high step up.  We notice there are several dinghies also pulled up to the dock.  A long-haired, bearded gentleman reminiscent of Margaritaville, meets us and introduces himself as Hans and guides us to 2 picnic tables set outside with pole sitting at them.  We sit down with Hans, a French mercenary (as we found out later) and Derick.  He brings us out beers as the only other drink was homemade wine and we enjoyed those.  Just a moment later, he brings out a pizza.  He said it was 1/2 Italian and 1/2 German.  It looked like tomatoes on one and white cheese on the other, sort of like a 1/2 white pizza.  It was really good. After a minute or so, an older couple came by to speak.  Turns out they were from Quebec and we spoke a couple of words in French.  The mercenary started rattling off French, but I had to waive him off as my French is high school at best.  Hans told us that he grew medicinal plants, which I assumed to be marijuana, but it turned out it was more natural ingredient medicines, such as passion fruit. Cindy knew a bit about this and we all conversed about it.  After a few minutes another young couple from Venezuela and Brazil came over to speak with us.  Turns out many of these people live on their boats and will anchor in bays n the area and only work long enough to get enough money to fix their boats or eat for awhile.  All in all, it was a most enjoyable night and after speaking with Hans, we have determined to hike up to the falls tomorrow.  He also offered to let us use his sailboat, which was very generous. 


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s