We asked Derick to come by around 10:00AM and he appeared right on time, but we cooked eggs and drank a pot of coffee before he arrived.  Today would photography day and a hike up to the waterfall. We left around 10 or 10:30 and took a trip around the island through an area we had never been before — Mango Bay, Black Rock, Savanna Bay, etc.  We took tons of photographs and saw some areas of the Guanaja Island that were not inhabited at all.  It is so beautiful and it is hard to understand why no one has found this jewel.  Mango Bay was a little more developed, but the rest was not.  The sea was a beautiful color that is impossible to catch on film and even more impossible to describe.  The colors changed constantly and we were continuously amazed.  

We came around the island to an area we recognized — Michael Rock — but we stopped at Bo’s Place for lunch, which was a restaurant on stilts at the end of a dock.  We had to get the owner out to cook up lunch for us. She cooked fish, French fries, rice and salad and it was delicious.  Cindy and I got in our bathing suits in the restroom and then followed Derick down the beach with our cameras.  

We followed him up a trail that wound through the jungle.  We saw ant nests in trees, giant trees, vines that Tarzan would swing on and even a tarantula.  We also saw giant blue crabs.  As we were walking, we noticed that the sky looked dark and decided we would not walk to the top of the falls, but would stop short and swim in an area below the larger falls.  It was cold, but not bone chilling cold like some Georgia mountain creeks.  We enjoyed ourselves in the cool for awhile and headed back to beat the rain.  It was a little rough going, so I asked Derick to carry my  bag as I was nervous about the rocks we were crossing.  Heading down seemed more treacherous than heading up.  We made our way down without incident and decided to watch the sunset on the other side of the island.  It was beautiful, but I may have to add that picture later, as it is in my regular camera– not my iPhone.  We also enjoyed a couple of beers while we waited for sundown.  Derick had run up the mountain to the waterfalls while we drank our beers and brought us back a rose apple, which we thoroughly enjoyed.  When we got back into the boat, we saw about 15 of them in the boat.  Hallelujah!!!!

We headed back as dusk was falling and it was good to see home again.  Looks like we won’t have power from 4:00AM to 5:00PM, so we must charge our phones and set coffee to brew at 3:00AM.  When we arrived home, we were disappointed to see that Mi Casa Too was closed on Tuesday, so we had Cuba Libres and pepper jelly, cream cheese and crackers for dinner,  Life is good!!!!


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s