The morning started as usual with eggs, onions, peppers and tomatoes and coffee, of course.  Then Derick came by to pick us up.  We had made PB&Js for all of us and had some leftover plantains from dinner the night before, so we packed that all up.  We went around to the other side of the island and snorkeled a reef off the coast for awhile, then came in towards shore and beached the boat at Michael Rock.  We planned to snorkel around the rock, but the wind and current at the tip of the rock were too strong to fight and we wanted to save our strength for more snorkeling, so we came back to our starting point. The fish were plentiful at the reef and the rock.  The rock had several schools of sardines that we swam with and brought in some bigger fish for us to see.  Derick bought two lobsters and one conch from some fishermen out there — right off the boat, so he filleted them there, while we watched.  I had never seen a conch filleted before, so it was interesting to see what part was good.  

We had lunch on the beach and swam a little, then snorkeled over to the next beach – Dena’s Beach, I think.  We saw fewer fish this time, so Derick took us to a reef off the coast, but we saw some other snorkelers looking for lobster.  He said they probably scared off the fish as there were several of them, so we went on to another reef.  The waves were fairly large, which made it more difficult to swim, but the fish and reef life in general was spectacular.  After a bit, we came on back to the house and found even on the other side of the island that the wind and waves were way up.  We walked up the path to our house and had a few cocktails with our new friend, Derick.  

He took the lobster and conch up to Mi Casa Too and we told him how we wanted it done.  Cindy wanted hers curried and I just wanted mine cooked with drawn butter.  We had no idea how she was going to cook the conch, but after we got cleaned up and walked up there, we found she had a made ceviche with the conch, which was fabulous.  Derick stayed and had dinner with us and we discussed world affairs.  

We are both so burned on our backs and the backs of our legs, but we only have one more day, so we’ll just have to tough it out.  I had bought a tee shirt and this helped my back, but there was nothing for my legs and we were out all day.  We discussed how we would buy a house down here and when would be the best time of year to come down.  My plans will have to wait a few years, but for now, it’s just wonderful to be here for a week.  


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s