Sitting on the porch this morning, knowing that tomorrow will be hectic trying to get to the little airport Erving this island before 8:00AM, when our flight departs, feels a little tragic.  As we brought little on the trip, we continue to wear the same clothes over and over, but the relaxed nature of this beautiful island encourages you to just be yourself — not worrying whether you wear out something you like because you want to wear it all the time.  Bare feet, bathing suits and gym shorts are the order for the day once again.  As I sit on this porch waiting for the day to open, I can see the reef that we will dive today — just a line of white in a sea of aquamarine, as the small waves break over the reef.  The colors of the reef and the fish that swim in and around it are impossible to photograph, even if we had brought a camera.  It will forever be scorched in my memory and indescribable to those who have never had this opportunity.  Tomorrow is a travel day and will be a long day with a long layover in Roatan, so I have time to once more enjoy this peaceful view from our front porch.

When we come back tonight, I will share the adventures of the day, but find it best to post when I have a few minutes to write, as sometimes my drafts disappear for some reason.  More to come later.

Later:  What a wonderful last day.  The sky was as clear as it has been the entire week.  The seas were so calm that we rode over to an island right around the corner.  It was pretty clear and there were TONS of tiny jelly fish there — the kind that wont hurt you, but float around.  They definitely feel like jelly when you hold them and they are so slippery that it is impossible to give one to someone else, as we found out.  I wanted Cindy to hold one, but I couldn’t get it to her hand.   Made the unfortunate mistake of feeling so comfortable that I tried to make a dive to the bottom.  Although I had cleared my ears, the pressure was too great on my sinuses and I ended up with a screaming headache.  We came back to the house and I walked up the long path to the house to pick up some sinus medication and ibuprofen.  

I still had the blinding headache, so we decided to take the time and eat some lunch on the beach.  We went to the other side of the island and found a secluded beach (not hard) and beached the boat.  We ate our same old PB&Js, while Derick looked for a coconut for each of us.  He was successful and cut the ends off them and punched a hole in one side.  They were delicious.  We put a couple of cubes of ice from the ice chest in the hole, which made the coconut juice cool to drink.  W had our box of nuts and plantains from dinner with us, so we snacked on those, too.  Cindy and I swam in the crystal clear aquamarine water for an hour or so and tried to capture the image of that area in our minds for when the daily stresses of our work lives take over.  

We motored over to a reef that we had wanted to dive yesterday and we found out why he wanted us to dive there.  We saw a puffer fish, a lion fish and a barracuda that followed us for awhile.  It was pretty clear and a beautiful reef that ran in a circle.  We swam around and inside of it for quite a long time. 

We needed to get to the store to purchase some replacement items for the house, so we went back to Bonacca and then I decided I wanted one last dive.  The water on our side of the island was very choppy and we had to look for an area that wouldn’t be too difficult.  We tried a couple of areas, but the water was too choppy.  We finally went on back to the house, but right in front of the house, it seemed to be a little smoother.  Cindy had gotten some pretty good burns on the back of her legs and decided that the last dive was so perfect that she didn’t want to end on a less than perfect dive.  I didn’t blame her, but decided I needed one more.  I had gotten progressively stronger each day and was not ready to quit.  The current was pretty swift, but not terrible.  There were loads of neon tetra on this reef and a different type of whispy vegetation that ebbed and flowed with the tide more.  It wasn’t perfectly clear, but it was good enough to see where the reef went, which was good enough for me.  Maybe I snorkeled for 30 minutes, but it was a nice finish to the day.  We are drinking our Cuba Libres and having pepper jelly and cream cheese with crackers.  I am sure I won’t eat all of my dinner tonight.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s