Day 4 brought clouds, which we were thankful for. We ate breakfast at 6:15AM, then had a devotional with the staff at 7:00AM. We then loaded up the bus for the 50 minute ride to La Esperanza, where we would be working with the villagers. We were greeted at the highway by all the children and villagers. They sang us some songs and we responded with a couple of songs ourselves. We then divided into teams to go to VBS or a house in the village. Mike, Jack and I went with a lady to help them build a Pila in her yard. We walked down the highway and crossed over to get to her house where we were greeted with sand, bags of concrete and cinder block. The Pila, which will look like a cement trough when we are finished, had been dug out and we were to place stones and build a footing first. We mixed concrete and filled in the footings with stones and concrete. Another gentleman came by, which we later found out his name was Orlando, and it was obvious that we had forgotten something — the drains. So we cut out two areas for those and then the discussion began as to how to do it. During this discussion, a truck with a load of green bananas drove by and wanted to sell us some. He said he’d take 50 limperas for them, but I only had 40. He took the 40 and brought back 2 bushels of bananas. We were shocked as 40 limps are worth less that $2.00 and I had no idea what we were going to do with them.  I thought we might get 5-6 bananas. We left one bushel at the house and sent the other back to the ranch. Fortunately, we saw some of our group headed towards lunch, so we took our leave and followed them to lunch. We all ate lunch at the school, then returned to our work. The VBS was over for the day, so we had additional workers. We continued working throughout the afternoon until the rain came. It started slowly, but then grew so intense that we had to come onto the porch. The covered the Pila as well as they could with plastic and sheet metal. Just about the time that the rain let up enough to go back outside, we saw our group heading to the bus, so we said our goodbyes and went back to the bus. On the way back, we stopped at the hardware store to get some supplies and then a small grocery store to get some snacks. We got back to the ranch and took showers and then had dinner. After dinner, we sat outside and discussed the day, then sang songs with the two Jacks playing guitar.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s