Again, we were up and eating breakfast at 6:15AM. We left the Ranch about 7:00 or 7:30 and went to the elementary school to visit. The children gave us a singing program, then we visited them in their classrooms. I noticed that the bathrooms had been re-done since March and that there was soap at the sink and toilet paper for the bathroom. We walked across the pedestrian bridge to the middle school and Angela and Virginia met their student. We also met with Myladis for a few minutes and I told them the story of the computers installed 5 years ago. I was able to go behind the school to see the basketball court. They have built quite a bit more and the plan is to put in a goal at one end, so they can at least practice their shooting. I also noticed that there were some volley ball poles out there, so they may be playing volleyball on the court as well.
We left the schools and headed back to the work and VBS site at La Esperanza. The children and adults were literally jumping up and down waiting to see us. We wondered how long they had been waiting. After a song from them and then all of us singing Jesus Loves Me in English and Spanish, we dispersed to our various work sites, including VBS.
Teresa and I were put at a home on the side of a mountain. We had to walk up a steep hill to get to the house. It was Nora’s home, who was a widow and had 3 children. She was 29 years old. We had Franklin again, which we found out was Orlando’s son, and __________. Hilo was our brick mason. We spent the entire morning shoveling gravel, which was more like dirt, and then taking it by 5 gallon buckets into the house. As the mason got closer to the door, one of the Hondurans were able to shovel it through the door directly to the floor. We needed some more gravel and one of the neighbors brought 4 sacks of gravel, which was draped across his two horses. We were able to finish that morning and there was some cement left over, so Nora asked that we use it for the back of her house. When we walked back there, we saw that her adobe house was being eroded away by the rain. The mason got a 1×12 board to make a form and used the extra cement to build it up from the bottom. We left La Esperanza and headed back to the Ranch. Our pastor, Gerald, had a rash on his chi, neck and under his arm. We gave him some Benadryl and cortisone cream, but we are worried he may have shingles.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s