We slept in just a little and then decided we’d have breakfast and then go to the Changing of the Guards at Amalienborg Palace. We also decided since we had a fair amount of time that we would ride the bus. We purchased tickets online, which was a mistake, and tried to find the right bus stop. We waited and waited at what we thought was a bus stop and we saw no busses, except across the street, which was the wrong direction. We finally gave up and walked around to see if we could find a different bus stop, as the one we were in kept scrolling that there was no information about the next bus. Finally, enough time had passed, so we decided we’d just take a taxi, so we wouldn’t miss it.

The 15 minute taxi ride was expensive, but we made it there in plenty of time and decided with the extra time that we would go inside of the Marble Church, which we had seen yesterday. Yes, it was a beautiful church inside and out, but we have seen many beautiful churches in Europe, so we just say in the pews and read about the church until it was time for the Changing of the Guards.

Like many of the tourists there, we did not know from which way they would arrive. Everyone was out in the courtyard waiting and the policemen there had everyone line up along a marking in the stones on the ground, so that the Guards could enter. Shannon had a front row seat and we watched as a woman went over the line to take pictures and was scolded by one of the policemen. He really made it funny and no one was offended. We all laughed. We waited for just a few minutes and sure enough, the Guards marked in with perfect precision. They had marched from the Rosenberg Castle, which was a 30 minute march for them. There was little ceremony about it, as there was no monarchy in residence apparently. We had read that when a monarch is in residence that there is a band. Afterward, we knew we had to be across town for a “free” tour, so we headed back via GPS. We have had a little trouble with GPS in Copenhagen and we really did have a tough time finding our way back. It took us longer than expected because there is a lot of construction going on in the city and the GPS routed us all over the place. We finally arrived 30 minutes before the tour, stopped off at McDonald’s to get Shannon some French fries and a McFlurry, then stopped at an outdoor cafe so I could have a Smorrebrod, which is a Danish open-faced sandwich. Mine had soft-boiled eggs, shrimp and quite a bit of mayonnaise on it, along with lettuce, on a very dark piece of bread. It was delicious and I finished just in time for the tour.

James from the UK did the tour and he was very good. The tour lasted about 90 minutes and he packed in a lot of information and history about Copenhagen and Denmark in general. I highly recommend doing this. As a matter of fact, we did see the Guards walking from the Parliament and they had a drummer playing with them and I believe I remember flutes. Is this called a fife and drum??? We learned that probably some monarch must have been in Parliament that day. The tour was called the Classic Tour. There is another tour that is 3 hours, but we had seen much of what they were going to show in that tour. We ended the tour at an open air market and stopped off for coke, wine and a chocolate croissant, which we have grown quite fond of.

As we were sitting, I looked into a taxi app and the cost was not outrageous, so we ordered a taxi. It would not accept my credit card, but said we could pay with cash. When the driver arrived 2 minutes later, he said that the system was down and he could take my credit card. The problem occurred when we got to the end of the trip and he asked for my credit card. He ran it on his own and input 50% more than the cost of the trip and then wanted me to sign the receipt. I did not and argued with him about it, but to no avail. The card had already been swiped. I wrote the taxi company with my complaint and took a picture of the amount with my phone as verification. THe taxi app that I used was taxi.eu, so be sure that you pay up front, if you use this app or you could have trouble.

We got to our room and I had messages from one of my past students, Sara Rywe, to have dinner. We met her at a cute Mexican Restaurant called Barburrito. The food was good, but the company was the best!!! We could have stayed there all night, but they had the table reserved for 7:30, so we had to leave. Sara had ridden her bike, so she walked the bike back to our hotel with us. We wanted one last picture with her, so we asked one of the guys outside the hostel if he would take our picture. He flatly said no, which was a bit of a surprise. We asked another guy out there and he agreed. As is typical, he took the picture way to far away, so we did a selfie.

We got into our room and started packing for our move to Malmo, Sweden tomorrow.


About lynntclarke

I am an attorney by trade, but love to travel. I am in my "golden" years and decided to blog about some of my trips, mainly to keep a diary of my experiences, so that I can do picture books for my travels and remember what I did each day. When you travel, you tend to forget the day before as you are having such wonderful new experiences. The blog will be there forever, I suppose, but memories fade fast. I hope you learn something worthwhile as you read. If not, then that is okay, too. Enjoy your own travels!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s